Apple has found the secret to combining simplicity, style and functionality in their ultralight yet powerful laptops and tablets.
Shop for Secondary BYOD
If this is your first time buying a secondary device for BYOD, or you just want more information about BYOD then you’ve come to the right place!
Seeing the acronym ‘BYOD’ for the first time can be confusing, especially when you have so many other items to cross off your secondary school supplies list. You wonder where a secondary school device will fit into your budget. Secondary school laptops and devices are not only designed with your needs in mind, but at Noel Leeming we make it affordable to tick the investment off the list.
Key secondary features
Once you have chosen your operating system, we recommend looking out for the following features when purchasing for secondary BYOD:
- Battery life - ideally your laptop or device will need to last a full school day on one charge. Look for around 11 hours battery life.
- Portability - ensure the BYOD device you choose is portable - can it fit in your backpack? Devices that are optimised for secondary school tend to be lighter and thinner than primary devices.
- Connectivity - some schools require your device to have a camera or speaker. Check your requirements with the school and keep this in mind. It’s also worthwhile considering whether you will find a pen or stylus useful as you take on more complicated projects that would be intuitively suited to these types of add-ons.
- Large screen size - most schools will recommend that your chosen secondary device has a screen size of at least 11 inches. This is so projects are easier and faster to achieve.
- Storage space - we recommend ensuring your secondary BYOD has at least 4GB RAM and 64 eMMC (device specifications) to process the necessary programmes at a secondary school level. It will also allow you to upgrade software and take you the distance to finish secondary school.
- Up-to-date antivirus software - this ensures the security and safety of your device.
- Hard drive - consider a solid state hard drive (SSD). These drives use microchips to store data, meaning they are flash-based and have no moving parts. This results in a quieter, lighter, and cooler drive that can significantly improve overall system performance - giving you faster boot up times, application launches, and file saving capabilities.
When shopping for a secondary school laptop or device, the first consideration is always operating system. The operating system will likely be defined by the school’s requirements, and this will set the basis of your decision making.
If you are looking for a more complete package that includes a mouse, sleeve or bag, and headphones, our bundle packages are a great way to get it all sorted in one purchase. You can be confident these bundle packages have been designed in consultation with the schools nationwide we have relationships with, so you know they will work for your school.
We also offer these package bundles with the option of our myTechSolutions service. Read more about the benefits of our myTechSolutions services here.