No Knead Baguettes
- 350g strong flour
- ¾ tsp. active dried yeast
- 11/2 tsp. salt
- 260g tap water
If using a SMEG oven with a SMEG Pizza stone, place the stone at the base of the oven before turning on. Once the oven, with stone in place, has reached temperature, allow the stone to preheat for a further 10 minutes before cooking.
If using SMEG’s Pizza stone with any other oven, place the stone on the lowest oven rack and, once the oven has reached temperature, allow the stone up to 45 minutes to reach temperature.
Preparing the Baguettes
- Mix dry ingredients well in large bowl.
- Add water and mix well.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon works well.
- Using your hands in the bowl pull the edges of the dough toward the middle to "fold".
- Repeat four times rotating and then form ball in bowl.
- Cover and leave to rest for 45 minutes.
- Fold dough again, pulling the dough up and folding over, repeating around the bowl.
- Again, rest for 45 minutes
- Repeat again twice making 3 hours of fold and rest.
Cooking the Baguettes
- Preheat oven with pizza stone to 250 – 280°C.
- When ready, sprinkle the work surface liberally with flour.
- Divide the dough into two pieces.
- Press each piece lightly into a rectangle and fold over twice into fat log.
- This is the pre-shape and leave to rest for 15 minutes covered lightly with cling wrap.
- After 15 mins. Press out the dough and fold into a log pressing with the back of your hand to seal.
- Roll out into a baguette length log
- Place on floured Couche, tea towel or baking paper.
- Fold up Couche between each log to maintain shape.
- Leave for 30 minutes to rise.
- Gently slash each log diagonally down the top with a very sharp knife.
- Carefully transfer on to the stone or, if not using a stone, a standard oven tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy.