Braised Beef Cheek
- Braised Beef Cheek
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 x 300g beef cheeks
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig sage, finely chopped
- 1 small sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 sprig thyme, finely chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- 3⁄4 cup beef or chicken stock
- TO SERVE
- 1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley
- 50g green peppercorns, fresh or canned
1) Core the tomatoes and place in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave for 10
seconds. Drain and peel of the skins. Halve, remove seeds and finely chop.
2) Select SAUTÉ/SEAR function and set the timer for 20 minutes. Press START and
allow to heat for 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the beef cheeks all
over in batches and set aside. Add the remaining oil and the vegetables and cook for 4
minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for another minute.
3) Add the red wine and cook for 8–10 minutes to reduce, then add the beef cheeks,
stock and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Select SLOW COOK. Set the timer for 6 hours. Place lid on cooker and press START.
5) Once cooking time is complete remove the lid. Remove the beef cheeks and set aside.
6) Select SAUTÉ/SEAR function and set the timer for 10 minutes. Press START. Allow to
simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
7) Cook the carrots in a saucepan of boiling water for 3–4 minutes or until tender. Drain,
drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
8) Return the beef cheeks to the sauce to reheat and stir through the parsley.
9) Serve the beef cheeks with the sauce and a few peppercorns sprinkled over alongside