Fried chicken waffles
- 4 eggs
- 600ml buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (such as sunflower or canola)
- 21⁄2 cups self–raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fried Chicken
- 600ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 12 chicken pieces on the bone, such as wings, drumsticks and thigh cutlets
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons each of salt and ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 11⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons each garlic powder and onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the chicken;
1) whisk the buttermilk and eggs together in a large bowl. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat well.
2) Combine flour, salt and pepper and remaining spices in a large flat dish.
3) Dip chicken in flour mixture and set aside until all the chicken has been coated. Repeat by dipping into egg and buttermilk again and then into flour mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4) Preheat oil in a deep fryer at 160 ̊C or use a large deep frying pan and heat over medium high heat. Cook chicken in batches for 10–15 minutes or until golden and cooked through to the bone.
5) Place cooked chicken, uncovered, into a warm oven (150 ̊C) while preparing waffles.
For the waffles;
1) place eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil into a large jug and whisk until well combined.
2) Combine flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
3) Carefully whisk in egg buttermilk mixture to form a smooth batter, with just a few lumps. If batter is too thick, stir in 1–2 tablespoons of buttermilk to loosen.
4) Preheat until orange light flashes up and the word HEATING disappears.
5) Pour batter into each waffle section, Close lid and cook until timer has finished and ready beep has sounded. Repeat with remaining batter.
***To serve, place 2 waffles onto each plate and top with 2 pieces of fried chicken. Spoon a dollop of whipped butter and drizzle over maple syrup.