Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding
This delicious pudding recipe means there’ll be no leftover hot cross buns going to waste. Pro tip: if you have surplus mini chocolate eggs, tuck them into the layers of the pudding for little pockets of melted chocolate magic.
- 600 ml pouring cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 orange
- 8 egg yolks
- 140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- 8 Classic Hot Cross Buns
- 30g softened butter
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Strawberries and raspberries, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Bring cream, vanilla and rinds to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale, then whisk in hot cream mixture.
2. Split buns in half and spread cut sides with butter. Arrange snugly in a buttered shallow 2.5-litre capacity baking dish, pour over custard and stand for 30 minutes.
3. Bake until custard is just starting to set (30-35 minutes), then increase heat to 200°C and bake until caramelised and golden (10-15 minutes). Remove from oven and rest for 30 minutes, dust with icing sugar and serve with berries.