- For the Dough.
- 1¾-Cup warm water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried yeast granules
- 4 Cup high grade or bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 – 4 tbsp tomato paste
- Dried or fresh Italian herbs – oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil – or any kind of pesto.
- Your favourite pizza toppings- bacon, pepperoni, red and green peppers, onion.
- 1 – 2 Cups grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
If using a SMEG oven with a SMEG Pizza stone, place the stone at the base of the oven before turning on. Once the oven, with stone in place, has reached temperature, allow the stone to preheat for a further 10 minutes before cooking.
If using SMEG’s Pizza stone with any other oven, place the stone on the lowest oven rack and, once the oven has reached temperature, allow the stone up to 45 minutes to reach temperature.
- Set oven to Top and Bottom Heat 200C
- If you have a baking stone place that in the oven to preheat with oven
- Preheat Oven to 200 °C
- Put water and sugar in bowl and sprinkle in yeast granules.
- Leave in a warm place for 10 minutes until yeast starts to bubble.
- Add flour, salt and olive oil and mix together with hands, or with dough hook in an electric mixer.
- Knead for 10 minutes until elastic and smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a clean damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 40 – 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into 2 balls and roll each to a rectangle 40cm x 25cm (1cm thick).
- Spread with tomato paste, leaving 3cm around both short edges and one long edge.
- Sprinkle with herbs.
- Top with your favourite pizza toppings, such as chopped onion, bacon, pepperoni, mushroom, ham, red pepper, fresh basil leaves.
- Sprinkle with grated cheeses, leaving 3 – 4 tbsp. of cheese for later.
- Brush unfilled edges with milk. Starting at the long filled edge, roll up into a log.
- Tuck under side ends and squeeze lightly to seal all around. If desired, make short diagonal cuts in top of dough.
- Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place on solid tray and bake at 200oC for approx. 40 minutes or until golden brown.