Winter Fruit Pavlova
- For the meringue
- 4 Egg whites
- Caster sugar 225g
- Cornflour 1 tsp
- White wine vinegar 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract half tsp
- For the topping
- Double cream 300ml
- Pomegranate seeds 30g
- Raspberries 50g
- Blueberries 50g
- Passion fruit, seeds scooped & shells discarded 2
- Blood orange, segmented 1
- Mint, leaves picked half small bunch
1) Preheat the oven to 130 ̊C.
2) Place the egg whites into the bowl of your kitchen machine, fitted with the
balloon whisk. Switch to speed 1 and whisk until the whites become foamy.
Then slowly increase the speed all the way up until speed 5 and let the
machine whisk the whites until they begin to form soft peaks. Begin adding the
sugar one spoonful at a time with the machine still running, until all of the
sugar has been added and the meringue is shiny and stiff.
3) Mix together the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla extract in a little dish, then fold
into the meringue.
4) Spoon half the meringue onto a parchment lined baking sheet and spread into
a 23cm circle. Add large spoonfuls of the rest of the meringue around the edges
to form a rim.
5) Bake the meringue for 1.5 hours, or until dry but still a little soft in the centre.
Switch off the oven, but leave the meringue inside to cool for at least 3 hours.
6) Pour the cream into the bowl of your kitchen machine, fitted with a clean
7) Whip the cream until thick.
8) Remove the meringue from the parchment and onto a serving plate, then fill
the centre with the whipped cream. Top with the fruit and scatter with mint
leaves to serve.