Piquant Scallops with Deep Fried Beetroot & Nespresso Match
This recipe, created by Jax Hamilton was a hit at our Nespresso VIP Evening. Serve the dish with a ristretto extraction of Nespresso Milano Limited Edition. Enjoy!
- Spicy and Sweet Piquant Pepper Paste
- 150g Peppadew Piquant Peppers, drained
- 20ml ristretto per serving
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 lime, zest
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- good pinch salt
- To serve
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 2 medium beetroot
- Knob of butter
- Drizzle of oil
- 12 scallops
- 200ml coconut cream
- 1 lime (juice only)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pop all Piquant Pepper Paste ingredients in a food processor and blend or whizz to a smooth paste with a hand blender.
- Pour oil into a deep pan, bring to 360 degrees celcius or my way, pop a wooden spoon in the oil when bubbles appear around the surface – you’re good to go.
- Thinly slice your beetroot and carefully deep fry until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Take your scallops and using some kitchen paper, carefully pat dry.
- Add butter a little oil to a pan, turn up the heat, pop them into the pan when it’s nice and hot – listen for the sizzle peeps! Cook your scallops in batches (if necessary, as you don’t want to crowd the pan) for 3 minutes each side.
- For the perfect scallop, you want to caramalise the outside, whilst the inside is just warm and translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside – keep warm.
- Reduce the heat and place your paste in the warm oil, cook, stirring for 3 – 5 minutes, until nice and fragrant, then pour in the coconut cream. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Place scallops on the plate, drizzle with sauce and garnish with deep fried beetroot!
- Match with a ristretto extraction of Nespresso Milano Limited Edition.
- Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Starter or Ding! Dong! Serve on a dressed salad for lunch.