Lime Meringue Pie
- For the Base
- 250 Digestive biscuits broken
- 50g Demerara Sugar
- 100g Butter, softened
- 1 lime zest
- For the Filling
- 8 egg yolks
- 800g (2 tins) condensed milk
- Zest and Juice of 5 limes
- For the Meringue
- 5 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp cream of Tartar
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
2) Place the ingredients for the base into the bowl of your kitchen machine, fit
with the K beater and run the machine on minimum speed, until you reach a
3) Press this mixture into a loose bottomed tart tin and press around the side.
4) Bake the mixture in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool.
Reduce the heat of the oven to 160 Degrees C.
5) Into a clean bowl of your kitchen machine add the egg yolks, fit the balloon
whisk and whisk for a minute on speed 2 or 3.
6) Add the condensed milk, lime zest and lime juice, whisk on speed 1 for another
7) Pour mixture onto the biscuit case and smooth the top.
8) Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then remove and set aside to cool.
Increase the oven temperature to 190 degrees C.
9) Make sure the bowl and balloon whisk are sparkling and clean, fit them back
into the machine. Add the egg whites and cream of Tartar and whisk on a
medium speed for 3 minutes until the form stiff peaks.
10) With the machine running, gradually add the sugar until you have a stiff
11) Spread the meringue all over the lime filling, make more of a peak in the
12) Bake the pie in the oven for 20 minutes, until the meringue is golden and
toasted in places.
13) Cool and Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.